Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Home Table WIP


Of all the distractions taking me away from painting my Eldar, my IG and other assorted models in queue, perhaps the most benevolent and excusable is the on-going Home Table project.

I live in a condo, so space is premium. The whole idea is to have a table that is portable, sets up fast and easy, and packs away just as quick and neat too. So after some mulling around, I built and acquired the materials for it. So this is what I have so far:


- 6'x4' board, cut into three 2'x4' pieces for easy handling and storage, from the local hardware store
- Double-sided battlemat from gamemat.eu
- 12 tall trees from Woodland Scenics
- 28 medium trees from Woodland Scenics
- 6 mounting boards (for the woods) from Art Friend
- 2 craggy hills from ye olde local pet store
- 2 low flat hills from Amera
- 1 four-stoery ruin from Amera
- 1 Fortress of Redemption from GW (I guess this can be broken down into 4 different structures)
- 2 three-storey ruins from HF
- 1 wrecked Rhino from HF
- 1 lookout tower from HF


The Amera kit is a simple vacuum-formed thing, but it works out really well. In fact I'm soooooooo tempted to get a couple more (the Admin Block and Factory look awesome), as well as the really nice-looking Gothic Ruins from Gamemat.eu. But I passed my LD test and did not click "Buy".


While in a pinch, I can already have games on the board (thanks to the awesome mat and bits of scatter terrain already in hand), there's still some work to do, in order of priority:


- Assemble the remaining 28 trees
- Base all 40 trees
- Cut out the mounting boards to mark out woods area terrain
- Paint all of the above
- Paint the Amera ruin
- Touch-up paint of the craggy hills
- Paint the low hills
- Touch-paint the old terrain from HF
- Assemble and paint the Fortress of Redemption


I'm stoked! But I do want to finish painting the 6 jetbikes this month too. Anyways, you know what they say about the best-laid plans ...

Will be having a game vs some Ultramarines this weekend - should be a blast!

Keep them dice rolling!


4 comments:

  1. That mat is really awesome. It makes the whole gaming table look that little bit more realistic. And are those guitars I spy on the background? :) A musically inclined gamer I see. I guess it's always good to pick them up and play the blues if you lose games. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the mat. Thinking of getting a grassland one too. Yes, guitars are from a past life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nNBuHyv9Ns
      Don't know about the blues, but metal seems about right

      Delete
    2. Metal was my thing when young ... now it's all about the blues. LoL :)

      Delete
    3. heheh ... blues is good too ...

      Delete